It’s that time of year again to get out the sunblock, the floppy hats and guard against damaging UV rays. But what do you do if the sun spots have already taken their toll? Here are some of our favorite remedies for reducing hyperpigmentation, sunspots or melasma.
Kiehl’s has a lightweight, super powerful, fast-acting serum that seems to be quite effective in reducing in breaking about the melanin that causes sunspots. Here is some information from Kiehl’s website:
Clearly Corrective DARK SPOT SOLUTION ($49.50) is a fast-acting serum that evens skin tone and diminishes dark spots to impart overall radiance and luminosity to the skin:
• In as little as 2 weeks, 55% of women clinically demonstrated a significant reduction in dark spot intensity.
• In 4 weeks, 69% of women clinically demonstrated a continued reduction in dark spots intensity and 73% of women showed a significant reduction in acne scarring. Reduction in other skin discolorations was clinically evident among 69% of women.
• In 8 weeks, 87% of women clinically demonstrated more uniform skin tone to deliver breakthrough clarity.
• With continued daily usage, Clearly Corrective helps to prevent the formation of future dark spots and other skin discolorations.
SHISEIDO WHITE LUCENT Intensive Spot Targeting Serum (Cost $125 for 30 ml., $170 for 50 ml.)
Shiseido’s WHITE LUCENT line promises fading of dark spots in 10 days! The serum has a light scent, goes on smooth and disappears into your skin effortlessly. We have noticed a slight reduction in dark spots but are wondering if you need to use the whole line to get significant results, not just the serum? Here are some details from Shiseido’s site:
A super brightening serum created to diminish stubborn dark spots in 10 days and prevent future pigmentation from appearing. Formulated with smoothing and re-texturizing ingredients to enhance clarity and radiance for flawless, perfectly even-toned skin.
- Developed with advanced Shiseido Multi-Action Brightening System+, targeting all types of hyper-pigmentation and their causes: dark spots, age spots, acne scars and uneven skin tones.
Contains ME Complex (Yomogi Extract and Angelica Root Extract) to accelerate cell turnover and diminish and eliminate melanin pigment.
NIA 24 Skin Strengthening Complex (cost $85.00)
NIA 24 has been getting a lot of buzz ever since Courtney Cox and Dr. Oz mentioned using the line. This niacin powered product is part of a line that is designed to improve severely sun-damaged skin. Make sure you ask for a sample to see if you have an allergic reaction because some people have mentioned sensitivity. We tested it and the results have been positive. It’s worth it to splurge on NIA’s sunblock which has the same lightening abilities paired with UVA/UVB protection. A MUST to keep your skin smooth and clear!
Here is some information on NIA 24 Skin Strengthening Complex:
Neither heavy nor too light, this fortified cream visibly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by enhancing the skin’s barrier function, accelerating repair and delivering continual moisturization.
- Continuous, deep delivery of Pro-Niacin™ strengthens the skin barrier.
- Pro-Niacin™ is clinically shown to visibly improve skin tone, texture and hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin A helps to improve elasticity and skin texture.
- Antioxidants Green Tea and Rosemary restore and protect skin.
- Ceramides reinforce the skin barrier to maximize the moisture-holding capacity for smoother, firmer skin.
- Evening Primrose and Wheat Germ oils deliver moisture.
Dermaxyl™ Peptide Complex visibly eases deeper wrinkles and expression lines.